Thursday, May 8, 2008

INKSPELL by Cornelia Funke



"Stories never really end, even if the books like to pretend they do. Stories always go on. They don't end on the last page, any more than they begin on the first page."



As the sequel to INKHEART, I had high expectations for this book. Dustfinger finds yet another person who can read people into stories, and uses him to go back to his own land of Inkworld. But his little friend, Farid gets left behind. Meggie reads him - and herself into Inkworld to find Dustfinger. But back home, the evil Basta and Mortola want to go to the Inkworld too, and get Mo to read them in. But things are not well in Inkworld - for anybody. Mo is arrested because everyone is certain that he is the Bluejay, a renowned robber and huge annoyance to the tyrannical Adderhead. The writer Fenoglio, Meggie, Farid, Dustfinger, and a few new friends must find a way to stop the Adderhead and save Mo before it's too late.
I was hoping to find one of those books that are amazing and obscure when I read this, but I was disappointed. The trash talk is infinitely worse than in INKHEART, and they introduce an annoying, crazily silly, ridiculous romance between Meggie and Farid that made me mad and sick to the stomach. On the good side... well, it was well written and a clever story, but you can find that in many other books that are far more worth your precious time. It's just not worth digging through the dumpster to find a Hershey's Kiss. Skip it! Read something else.



Author: Cornelia Funke ~ Original title: Tintenblut ~ Translator: Anthea Bell ~ Country: Germany ~ Language: German ~ Series: Inkheart trilogy ~ Genre(s): Fantasy ~ Publisher: Meredith ~ Publication date: 2005 ~ Media type: Print (Hardback & Paperback) ~ Pages: 635 pp (first Eng. edition, hardback) ~ ISBN: ISBN 0-439-55400-4 (first Eng. edition, hardback) ~Preceded by: Inkheart ~ Followed by: Inkdeath
Check out this trailer for the upcoming INKHEART film! I'm not recommending it - of course I haven't seen it. Be sure to read up on it before you watch it. I'll try to get some info up here as soon as I can when I find out that it's worth seeing.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I have been waiting for someone to say what INKSPELL really was: trash! I too enjoyed INKHEART, but I cannot tell you how disappointed I was by the sequel. It was gross, dark, and depressing, but it didn't have a point to it. And Meggy and Farid! The girl is thirteen, for pete's sake! It goes from portraying her as a girl in Inkheart to portraying her as practically a woman in Inkspell. Arggggggg!

What also got me was that there weren't really any 'good' creatures in the book, the fairies that Dustfinger missed so much are basically human-like creatures that act like dumb animals. And they lay eggs? blegh!

Anyhow, here I've gone off on one of my rants. Thank you soooooooo much for writing this review! I go to the library website for my county, and all they have in the reviews written by teenagers are: "Ohmygosh! This is the best book ever! You have to read it!" I tried posting a short review of what I thought, and some girl replied: "No way! You are so wrong! It was completely awesome!" Ugh. I think there would be more negative reviews on it if people didn't think that they had to be loyal to the sequel just because they are huge fans of the first book.

(Here I go rambling again, and it's not even my blog to ramble on!) Anyhow, THANK YOU for this review! I love the reviews on this site, and I will definately come back more often. :)

Cherise